N & P Building Society

The Norwich & Peterborough started life as two separate building societies. The Norwich and District Provident Permanent Benefit Building and Freehold Land Society (later renamed as the somewhat more manageable Norwich Building Society) was founded in 1852 and the Peterborough Provincial Benefit Society was founded in 1860, by rail workers in order to build affordable housing in the city.

Over the next few decades, these two absorbed a variety of other societies – until, in 1986, they merged together and became to Norwich and Peterborough Building Society as we know it today. It was this history, alongside their strong branch network within the East Anglia area, which they bought with them when they joined Yorkshire Building Society Group in November 2011 and became the newest member of our family. 

References to 'YBS Group' or 'Yorkshire Group' refer to Yorkshire Building Society, the trading names under which it operates (Norwich & Peterborough Building Society, N&P and Egg) and its subsidiary companies.

"